Thursday, June 20, 2019

Wounds That Heal The Soul.

There are some competitions that only crazy people do. My two boys are only 2-years apart in age from one another. They compete in nearly everything. While they are adults today, yet they still find ways to compete with one another.

When they were children the competition was about who got the most stitches. Not that they were deliberately cutting themselves but whatever an accident whould occurred that required medical attention and even stitches, they would brag about their stitches. They often wanted stitches so that they could take the lead in the competition!

I remember taking Jeremiah to the hospital after what looked to be an injury that required stitches. To his disappointment the injury, though bad enough yet they could not stitch up the wound. They can only treat it and wrap it with the special material that would heal without being able to stitch the wound. I’m not even certain that I know who is out doing who these days.

We all have them. Many times in our injuries what remains is a scar and perhaps even a story to go with it. I’ve had them and I could tell you stories that go with each and every one of my wounds. Most of my injuries have healed and there is very little impact in my life today. Yet, like you, there are some wounds don’t heal easily. There are times when people feel on-going anger and bitterness and even hateful attitudes because of the wounds that have not healed.

For several years now I have carried a portrait on a tattered paper from a devotional that Dr. Bud Bence did. It was when I was with the team from Indiana Wesleyan when I served as Director of Alumni. The devotional had to do with the wounds that we all carry. What was rather remarkable was that the portrait I carry today is an image of the hand of Jesus, showing a wound with the question reading: "What have you done with the wounds in your life?"

I never will forget the devotional because it was so meaningful. Not that I was dealing with unresolved issues but that the profound impact from his devotional was so inspiring. This question raises for me an ongoing opportunity. Each of my scars have stories but as I surrendered them long ago to Christ those scars tell a different kind of story. It is that of redemption and transformation of my life.


The wounds that I carried where that of injuries brought upon me by others.They included broken relationships and disappointments. There was physical abuse brought to me by those that were to provide caregiving and protection. For far too long I carried those wounds that brought injury to others because I had not realized how I could turn them over to Jesus. I have heard it said the wounded people hurt others.

The devotional that Dr. Bence, gave was profound because it reminded me that Jesus has wounds because of the sin that he carried on the cross. It is unimaginable to think that one would suffer great pain and death because of my sin. To think that Jesus would love me enough to die, though perfect and without sin Himself, for my sin!
Hosea 6:1 -- A Call to Repentance:  "Come, let us return to the Lord. He has torn us to pieces; now he will heal us. He has injured us; now he will bandage our wounds.
His wounds are enough to heal my woundedness! His death and resurrection from the dead is enough to bring healing to my soul.

In a society that is filled with wounded people, who even form their identify around their pain and scars, it is so good to know that our wounds can be healed! Isn’t it amazing how many people carry their pain when they don’t have to?

I know for me, I refuse to let wounds go untreated. I don’t do this to the open wounds on my body. I treat the wound with healing lotion and prevent it from becoming infected. I don’t pick at the scab but rather change my bandages and seek a cure of healing.

I now use the wounds in my life to tell of the redemptive story of God’s Grace and plan for my life. I can often relate to those that are hurting because I once was broken. Now I am healed and can tell of God’s incredible healing in my life. It is possible to be healed and too can receive healing for the soul through Jesus Christ!

What have you done with the wounds in your lives?