Friday, June 21, 2019

A Dense Fog Can Sharpen Your Vision.

Have you ever noticed that during times when there is a dense fog that you look more intently at the road right before you more carefully? Even when driving you adjust your lights and look carefully into the fog for oncoming traffic. I believe that it can sharpen your vision.

I remember driving through dense fog late at night from Cincinnati back to Indiana. It was so extreme that I can only see but a few feet in front of me. Contributing to my lack of site was not only the fog but the darkness. My headlights were set in an effort to see the lines in the road. Those road lines were my only guides that kept me on the road.

Driving back from Cincinnati took me a lot longer than I had planned but in order to be safe I had to drive slow and watch for obstructions and other dangers. Mostly I remember saying to myself all the way home, this is intense!

This morning as I write this blog I’m reflecting on driving through the fog even this morning. The fog is not as intense as it has been another times. Along my journey I reflected and I am reminded me that when I do drive through foggy commute that I seem to be more alert. I peer into the fog with greater levels of vision. Since my commute is rather familiar I respond to the conditions with greater confidence. It is as if knowing the landmarks that appear suddenly out of the fog that I feel better about my journey. I even drive with a greater certainty even though I cannot see the distance of only a tenth of a mile.

You’ve experienced it too. You drive through the fog and peer more deeply into the unknown looking for indicators of danger or of landmarks that are familiar. Headlights ahead appear suddenly. Roadsigns become clear as you approach them and they seem to form out of the fog. You follow the lines on the roadway where your headlights guide.

The reality is that in life most everything that we encounter is like driving through the fog. There are times of uncertainty and times of hardship. There are times when life seems to be a walk of faith where the horizon is not always clear. There are times when the only thing you have to guide you are simple roadway lines and signs that suddenly appear slowly out of the fog.

It’s during those difficult times that our faith is strengthened. Where our vision can be sharpened. It’s as if we appear into the unknown and trust familiar indicators that tell you you are going to be okay. If we move through the alphabet just a few letters from F-O-G we can face the uncertainty of the situation with greater confidence. What we experience through the fog we can also know of the reality of G-O-D. It’s as if the fog is lifting and our trust in God is what brings us through.

Even though the fog falls upon the just and the unjust, as believers in God, through Jesus Christ, we can see our way through. It is because we know that our hope and deliverance comes from someone who is certain to bring us through. Our faith seems to bring hope during those times of uncertainty.

Psalms 18:6 -- But in my distress I cried out to the Lord; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry to him reached his ears.

Our vision is sharpened during times when the fog sets in. We can focus better and live with faith recognizing familiar signs along the roadway of life. It is through our faith in Jesus Christ that we can find hope; going from fog to God. God reminds us that He hears and answers!