Friday, July 19, 2019

Take Happiness Seriously!

I don’t know if you ever knew someone who seldom displayed joy and who represented themselves as a Christian. I have met them, many times. I don’t understand it but their religious piety is defined by stoicism and seriousness. They believe that happiness is shallow and lacks spiritual depth. They frown. They appear grumpy. They look angry.


Somehow these Christians missed what the Word of God says about happiness. They may have even passed over passages that include the word blessing. You may be surprised to learn that happiness is central to the Bible. It is central to Christianity. It is central to Catholicism. Read more: Catholic Blessing. It is central to Judaism as well. Read more: Jewish Blessing. It is universally understood as a religious experience. Read more: Cline, Austin. "What Is a Blessing?" Learn Religions, Apr. 17, 2019, learnreligions.com/how-are-people-in-the-bible-248643.

Today I want to encourage us to reflect on this wonderful expression. I want us to take happiness seriously! It should be central to your lives! The Bible is filled with expressions of happiness and blessing. These terms are interchangeable.

Whenever I send email or letter correspondence I sign it with the word, blessings. I intend to hopefully reinforce my understanding of happiness as well as a reminder about being a blessing. I want to be a blessing to those I encounter as well.

Randy Alcorn spent an entire book, some 60 chapters on such happy thoughts. Hannah Whitehall Smith’s notable book dating back to 1885, The Christian Secret to a Happy Life is filled with incredible insights to this notion of happiness.

Make no mistake about it, trouble is ever-present. Happiness is not the absence of trouble. It is in-spite of difficulties. The Bible makes this clear! For starters, there are well over 72 passages you can get started with. Read more: Daily Verses - Blessing!  "As Christians, our happiness makes the gospel contagiously appealing." Randy Alcorn, Happiness.

Just as important as this notion is to our Christian witness we also need to recognize that we are not just talking about being happy but I am talking about joy, blessing, & happiness. It is both internal as well as expressed externally through our actions and demeanor. The old Sunday School children’s song is true, "If you are happy and you know than your face ought to show it!"

It is more than superficial. It is in inner depth of joy that originated with God! Think of ways you can display joy and happiness! Not just in your humor but most important, in your faith journey.

Think of ways you can be a blessing to others! It is something that is contagious. You should be a blessing to others!

With so many who are dealing with mental health challenges including depression, your joy can make a difference. In fact, happiness can be a positive impact in the lives of others.
When should you start? Start today! I love what S. Truett Cathy, founder of Chick-fil-A once said; "How do you know if someone needs encouragement? If they are still breathing!"

We have heard it said that even saying the tune, the joy of the Lord is my strength. We can draw strength in our joy and be a blessing to others who need us to strengthen them in their journey.

Psalms 28:7 -- The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.


Take Happiness Seriously!