Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sunday Morning Summary And Reminder!

Routine is how we mark our time. This week has been marked not by routine or time, but opportunity. I have learned this week that the south doesn't stress themselves with the same things that I do. I usually start my day by getting the boys off to school and then I grab my cup of Panera Bread coffee. I spend time reading a devotional thought, a conversation with a "drinking buddy" who is sipping a cup of coffee too and writing a few thoughts, many of which are posted to my blog sites. Then I go about my day doing fairly routine activities. Meetings, phone calls, office work and planning. At the end of the day I head home to have dinner with my family. The next day it starts all over again in keeping with my routine. Sundays are no different. I start out my Sunday routine and usually can be found occupying a seat at WWC. Routine dictates my actions.

This week I have begun my day with breakfast at the camp kitchen and then someone leads in devotions and we chat over a cup of coffee. But this is where the similarities ends. I found that I just never knew what the day was going to bring. We would make plans but something better diverted our plans. Even my Sunday was impacted. I found that my routine changed and even my plans had to cooperate with another plan.

At home I account for every hour. I pack my day to make the most of every moment. Nothing entered my schedule unless I planned for it - for the most part. I live a very deliberate life now filled with routines.

Coming to the Gulf has changed this. It reminds me of how I used to live just a few years ago. I would start out with my plans and God would lead something else along my path that was better. I enjoyed the "divine interruptions" to my day. God's agenda came first!

Just this morning I planned on going to an 8:30 church service but instead I am posting a blog. There is no 8:30 service here until next Sunday. The hurricane has shifted the routines of many people. I have decided to attend a Gulfport church at 10:30 - Odell and Carol's church. They have had to shift their routine as well. Their church sanctuary has been damaged and they plan to have an outdoor service.

I love the "flow of the spirit" since coming and makes me long for the days when my routine allowed for interruptions from the Lord.

If there is anything I carry with me from this experience beyond the stories will be that God loves to surprise us with His presence and agenda. I am glad that my routine has been interrupted. This week the Lord changed our plans and placed us in situations that stretch our comfort zones. It was in those "less-than-routine" situations that God did His work through our lives.

Only God can take disaster, interruption, crisis-filled moments and shape a better outcome. I am glad for the reminder that His ways are always perfect. His ways are not my ways!

Oh, how I long to have daily divine interruptions!