Saturday, March 25, 2006

Day Six!

Day six! It is the end of the day on Saturday. It has been a l-o-n-g day....

I started out at 5 am by meeting with the Gulfport Police Department. It is so interesting that I planned on coming and be in Gulfport and upon my arrival I was sent to Biloxi being told that Gulfport was no longer a site and later God opened a door for us to serve mostly in Golfport. Today I rode 6 hours with an officer Chris at Gulfport. This provided an opportunity to connect with several police officers and also talk with the dispatch personnel.

Interesting, as I spoke with the dispatch personnel I learned that two of them had been on duty during the hurricane. It was really dramatic to hear what they had to deal with. One dispatcher said that the only way she was able to get through the shift was to cry. She had to tell terrified and injured people that no emergency personnel were being sent out for rescue relief until after the storm. One man was seriously injured and had to wait 12 hours for help. That was the worst part about their job. They were not able to do anything except take calls, listen and cry.

I was able to make contact at the county jail also. We were transporting an arrested man and I was able to introduce myself to the ministry of chaplaincy to some personnel there.

In the late afternoon I was able to have free-time. Later in the evening I met up with the chaplains and project coordinator for dinner.

This is the conclusion to day six.