Monday, March 20, 2006

Day One

I write you nearing the end of day one. I flew into Gulfport, MS this afternoon. Not so much of an adventure but a rather turn of events occurred. As I got off the plane here a couple approached me saying, "Hey, Pastor Rick!" I couldn't believe it but (as many may know from WWC) my former neighbor was on the same flight. Two years ago Odell and his wife moved south but I had lost contact with them. Wouldn't it just be like the Lord to renew Christian brotherhood clear across the country! It was a nice personal touch to meet familiar faces clear down here!

I am settled now in my dorm-room at a United Methodist Camp in Biloxi, MS. It was hit hard by Katrina because it sits right on the Gulf Coast. I can see the coast just a few hundred yards from my dorm. There are still many things to be done here. The nearby buildings are leveled or severely damaged.

I took a tour via car ride to see the devastation. Things along the shore are really in bad shape. A few miles in things appear to be taking shape. There are many opportunities to serve all around.

I will be trained and receive my orientation in the morning. I am not sure how God will choose to use me but I stand ready. Pray for me.

Until Tuesday, Rick

Live from Biloxi...