Thursday, September 17, 2020

The Resume!

If you have lived and struggled it is likely that you have graduated from the school of hard knocks. It’s life experience the teaches you a few lessons that shaped who you are and likely sharpen your skills along the way. For me, I think I may have been a graduate student (Masters level) and likely never to receive my diploma because I feel as if every each day I had another lesson in a perpetual series of classes. Unfortunately, I didn’t always do well on the exam.

The good news is, there’s a lot that I can put on my resume. While it might not be a certified transcript from an accredited institution, nevertheless it has taught me certain skills that shape who I am. Life’s challenges are indeed the hallmark for achievement. When applying for our first job we may have been turned down because experience was needed. Eventually we start hearing that we are over experienced because of our age. Yet, somehow in the middle we find a career and a profession or vocation based on our skills, education, and mostly experiences.

I have been criticized for working too hard. In one of my ministries I averaged over 80 hours weekly and still volunteered my time as a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA). I did chaplaincy work in another ministry where I would serve after 10 pm through early morning; getting just a few hours of sleep I would report to the office the next morning by 8:00 AM. Of course I needed to spend more time at home!  

Those ideals where drilled into me by my father who believed in hard work. His motto could have been, “Do all you can!” I am reminded of a quote I read, “A recent scientific study showed that out of 2,293,618,397 people, 94% are too lazy to actually read that number.” (I hope you are willing to read further!)

Wisdom prevails when it comes to experience. Nothing can beat personal experience. The lessons we’ve learned help us interpret life and make good choices. 

Theodore Roosevelt was a terrific historian and tremendous leader at the turn of the 20th century. His resume was built through rugged hard work and through tough individualism. It was through his experience of leading the Roughriders and furthering his career as a strong and independently-minded person that created the brand that we know him as now. He’s often known for advocating for individual achievement and hard work ethics that earned him tremendous stature as a strong man. Winning battles and achieving through hard work became symbols of his brand. His resume was based on his large achievements and perseverance and mostly experience.

As I comb through the Bible it’s easy to come upon another individual who reminds me of a similar personality, both before and after his conversion. The apostle Paul is that rugged individual that seems to also have a tremendous resume of experiences. 2 Corinthians 11:23 - 28 is a summary of his resume.

“Are they servants of Christ? I know I sound like a madman, but I have served him far more! I have worked harder, been put in prison more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. Five different times the Jewish leaders gave me thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. I have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not. I have worked hard and long, enduring many sleepless nights. I have been hungry and thirsty and have often gone without food. I have shivered in the cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm.

**Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of my concern for all the churches.**” -- 2 Corinthians 11:23-28 (Astrid added)

There are very few people who have such an impressive resume. While there are many in history, I know of none personally. But, I do know is that this as a person of high achievement and, in the midst of struggle, has persevered. I believe it certainly rest on the understanding that the apostle Paul had a Calling from the Lord. Even a tremendous testimony of his conversion.

Too often I find people who are willing to give up and just the moment that they could have achieved. Too often we hear of those that have backtracked because it was simply too hard to step forward. Too often we see individuals who are given a pass and excuses are made when they had every reason to move ahead.

I look back on how many times my plans were thwarted and if had I just simply had hung on just a little bit longer could’ve made the different. Even toward the end of Paul’s life we find in the book of Philippians that Paul drew his strength from the Lord. I’m impressed that while he was in prison one of the most impressive statements is that he concludes that letter by giving greetings and especially calling out those of the household of Caesar. These were the ones that have come to faith likely because of the influence of Paul during his house arrest and imprisonment.  Even though he had every reason to give up yet, he continued to build his resume for the work of the Lord. He spoke truth and saw converts even among the high-ranking officials of Caesars Palace.

Could I or any of us conclude our lives with such a resume? Could any one of us write down a list of those whose lives have been changed because of our impact on their lives? We never really know when our final day is to come, yet, we should be about our fathers business each and every day by sharing our faith. Our message is filled with the hope we have through Christ who gives us strength. 

Let us not retire, nor grow tired but build a resume of experiences for God’s glory!