Wednesday, February 05, 2020

My Take on #SOTU - A 2-minute Read

Do I dare? You may be asking yourself the very same question. Would you go on the record publicly stating your opinion of the State of the Union speech by Donald J Trump?

Well, I’m no politician and I’m not complete with history but here I go with a few of my takeaways from the speech. What I hope comes through clearly in my attempt here is that when the storm clouds gather, be the light that shines through.

Minute #1. A backdrop. It might be worth noting that I did vote in the 2016 election and that I could not bring myself to voting for Hillary Clinton. There are many reasons that began with my value of life (for the pre-born) and a believer in the message of hope. (Hillary did not convey the same tone and substance as Obama.)

Knowing this about me will mean that you may not read further, thinking that this is just another mindless, conservative rhetoric that is typical. If you dare, read further and it may surprise you.

You see, in 2016 I was not voting for a candidate. I was voting on policies and values that are important to me as well as what I believe to be helpful for this country. I was not casting my ballot on a person, personality, nor politician. At best, I was interested in an outsider. I am thinking that most of Americans are looking at doing the same thing. (Consider why Bernie Sanders is so popular.) I took into consideration my ethical standards and my moral leaning. I considered carefully based on what I understand about the Bible and my personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

It’s likely that you did the same thing. It wasn’t the popularity contest like in high school when you vote for the king and queen or your student council. Casting a ballot is a civic and moral responsibility. It’s something that you take very seriously on a national and local level.

You may be surprised to learn that I’m not a single issue American. I think about those that are impacted by policies at the national level. It might even be surprised to learn that I didn’t like it when President Ronald Reagan took away the social benefits of at-risk Americans in order to balance the budget. You might even be surprised to learn today I’m not in favor of war, nor am I a pacifist. like most of you I am conflicted.  I’m like most Americans after 911 as we took the best information we had available at the time and responded to the attack on our economy and the American people. I will hold to the memory of the thousands who died because of hate filled terrorists set on destroying the American way.

Minute #2: My opinion of the SOTU. I haven’t heard or read the speeches of every president in the past but I listened to Trump carefully for tone and substance. You shouldn’t be surprised that this is one of the rewards and luxuries of winning the presidential election. Both political sides have done similar and both sides use this time to prove that their policies are working.

I listened to the President’s speech for items that appeal to my values. The speech touched on those values including, but not limited to the following; pro life, a strong economy, support for our American soldiers, and policies that help the poor and vulnerable of our communities.

There are questions that are filling the time of every news source that review Donald Trump‘s claims. You might be surprised but fact check what POTUS said in his speech. The opinion makers would have you think that since he lied on some things that he lied about everything else. I would encourage you to think critically and listen carefully to what is fact checked. I would never want you to accept anything at face value. We need to discern and carefully decipher what is being communicated.

The President was not the only one in the room. Two of the biggest players in the room include President Trump and Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi. I have a message for both of them.

Mr. President Trump, the American people are watching and integrity matters as a fundamental principle regarding this country. So, telling the truth matters and in the age of fact checking, the truth will be revealed. Madame speaker Pelosi, the American people are watching and disrespect is unacceptable; something I learned in Kindergarten. So, petty acts like tearing up the SOTU speech makes you seen small.

For the rest of us let me say, listen carefully and instead of simply taking sides. Do your best to discern and do your homework on the topics being debated. It is essential and very American to debate because it is in that forum of our republic that we discover better answers and solutions.

As a Christian, I also offer my opinion. I would challenge each of us to be careful not only in our substance on our arguments but also on the tone. Continually love even in your bitter disagreements. I’m not encouraging anyone to compromise but to love no matter our bitter divide. Be respectful. Social media outlets like Facebook allow us to taunt our opponents and share opinions but it never replaces the interpersonal and unfortunately too many people are passive-aggressive in their online communications. Remember, people are watching and making their own judgment on our faith values.