Wednesday, May 01, 2019

Love One Another, Despite Our Differences! 

Let’s have a conversation. How different are we? We are all so different. Different by race, background, experiences, education, economic status, social status, political position, and even religion.

Like us, the twelve disciples were very different; some were fishermen, others were businessmen, even one was a tax collector, as well as one was a physician, as well as a thief, yet even another was an activist. Similarly, each of these men could be categorized like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. They all were uniquely very different.

As you read this article and realize that we all have differences we come to understand why so many of us cluster and create cliques; creating close friendships with those who have similarities.

It is easy to like people who are like me. Yet, it is much more difficult to love people who are different. We allow our differences to separate us! I am often curious and have to ask the question, why can’t we disagree, agreeably?

The Word of God & our National Day of Prayer (NDP) theme gives focus to "Love One Another." "A new covenant I give you," says Jesus, "to Love One Another." I add, despite our differences.
John 13:34 - "So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other."
While we can find unity in our understanding of God’s love and loving one another, this passage is NOT about unity. It is about loving each other no matter how different we may be.
The disciples were very different people, each possessing a different motivation for why they responded to Jesus. Each of them were perhaps drawn to His calling to be a disciple for different reason. There’s not time to break it down except to say that they were called to a different way of thinking. The concept and command was to love one another as he loved them, no matter their differences!

I wonder what would happen if we could demonstrate that kind of love for "one another" as well as to "the others" that live in our community?

I have the opportunity through White’s Residential & Family Services to wake up each morning and spend my day in a different community throughout Indiana. I meet all kinds of people and I have been in many different churches. Last year I was in 45 different churches for worship. Despite what you may thing, it wasn’t because I couldn’t get along with anyone, it was because of my ministry. Believe me, I have seen all kinds of church settings, met many different people, experienced a wide variety of people.

We are very different people yet even as part the body of Christ, we too have various differences. We know that we are the church Universal in our Christian faith yet each of us represent a different part of that body. Jesus is the head of course yet we function with various gifts and abilities.

This year’s NDP theme takes from the scripture calling us to love one another. Yet, though the disciples were very different and often argued over who would be the greatest, Christ instructed them in his departing that they are to love one another.

As we do a better job of loving one another, the world will see us in a different light. They won’t see siblings whining and complaining but they will see a family who cares even for their neighbor.


Another passage in Hebrews puts a remarkable context to the meaning of loving one another through the incredible sacrifice of our Lord. Therefore, we are encouraged to find ways that demonstrate love and good works.

Hebrews 10:24 -- "Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works."

One tactic that I have discovered brings meaning of life to people. I love to invite people to prayer, like waitresses and those of the service industry. I believe that God calls us to love the lost and forgotten segment of our population; those that are right in front of us every day!  They are the least among us and often those who are Invisible to us.

I’ve make every effort and often go out of my way to ask waitresses and others how I could pray for them. I try to find ways to build a positive context of the relationship through humor as my way to accomplish this; some might even say I tell bad jokes.

Jokes like, why didn’t the invisible man take the job he was offered? He couldn’t see himself there. Or, what did one cannibal say to the other cannibal after they eat a clown? Did that taste funny?

Ultimately it is about helping people encounter the gospel of Jesus Christ in a way that demonstrates his love for them. This theme is not just a reminder for us as believers but a reminder that as a nation we need to love as Jesus did for the least in the lost who are so obvious in our community.

Consider the following.

I should not be too great that I cannot serve others.
I should not be too rich that I could not help the needy.
I should not be so comfortable that I would not be inconvenienced for the sake of another.
I should not be too busy to stop and listen.
I should not be so pious and religious that I do not discover the true meaning of religion for the orphan and widow.

R.C. Sproul; "Men are never duly touched and impressed with a conviction of their insignificance, until they have contrasted themselves with the majesty of God."
Remember;


On this National Day of Prayer may we mourn for a nation who’s sin is generational & should I dare I say it, includes my sin.
On this National Day of Prayer may we humble ourselves to serve the least & the lost and should I dare say it, set aside our own wants & needs.
On this National Day of Prayer may we pray for those in leadership and authority – and should I dare say, even those whom we may have disagreements with.
On this National Day of Prayer are we willing to humble ourselves and seek His face?