Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Evangelism: Five Simple Acts We ALL Can Do!

If you have ever shared your faith or just invited someone to church you know that it’s not an easy task. I’ve been there as well. I’ve gone to special classes and have been challenged by sermons and motivational speakers. I have listened to my pastor express the importance of sharing my faith.

Many use passive-aggressive tactics to let someone know that they are a Christian.

You’re sitting at a restaurant and just as you get up to leave you Place on your table what appears to be a $50 bill. You think to yourself, "There I’ve done that, the Bible track will make a difference." What you left behind was a biblical track that appeared to be $50 but when you open it the message reads, "Your soul is worth far more."

What you and I often do is think that if you leave subtle clues that somebody will come to Christ and you can justify your actions. The truth is, passive-aggressive actions don’t work. Leaving a Bible track alone is not the way we fulfill the great commission.

Often we feel as if we are not doing enough.

Another tendency that we all may do this feel compelled that we should do something more than just share our faith. Of course should you actually share your faith any action would be positive and fulfilling. The truth is, often we use methods that are clear about our motivation for our action.

So you give a few bucks to someone in an act of charity. Of course that person is grateful because the need is greater. Yet, all they know at this point is that you are a nice person, generous, and you did a nice act of kindness. 

Without clearly identifying your motivation, this is just an act that makes you feel better.

Much of what motivates us to share our faith is guilt.

This leads me to talk about the third point I want to share. We are motivated to act but we Respond and guilt. We know what the Bible tells us to, "go" and share our faith and we’ve heard sermons that compel us. Yet, or motivation is one of guilt and self righteousness.

Hold up your hand. Count your fingers. There are five ways we can share about Christ that makes a difference. I want to share with you that we can all fulfill the great commission through developing a relationship with another person as well as clearly demonstrating that our motivation is love.

A. Pray. -- God hears us & answers prayer!

We know that every good and perfect gift is from God. We know that our faith compels us to believe that as we pray, God hears our prayers. This is the first act of evangelism. We plead on behalf of others for God to save and redeem those that we interact with.

This first finger that we may use to count is our pointing finger. This is the finger often pointed at others when it should be pointed to God.  We can demonstrate our faith and thus our belief to a non-believer by simply asking them, "How can I pray for you today?"

Prayer is at the very beginning of a relationship because it is neither compelled by guilt nor motivated by self righteousness. It is often judgment the people here but in a genuine concern in prayer we point to God and ask of Him. It is demonstrated out of love. It is not passive-aggressive because we are entering into a spiritual context of our relationship with another person. If we demonstrate true humility as we ask for the opportunity to pray for someone, we bring someone into the encounter of the living God.

I have had no one ever turned me down when I simply ask, "How may I pray for you." Often I pray while they are with me and it’s clear that it is a ministry to their spirit. Often people have cried because of the wearysome burdens that they carry with them.

B. Share His Word. -- God’s Word NEVER returns void!

Certainly you can share the gospel through the word of God with somebody that you have just met. Often we get the idea that we need to gain trust or a relationship so that we could speak about biblical matters. The truth is that there is often a cop-out in a way to delay the work of God’s word and the life of another.

Somehow we believe that God‘s word is not enough or that we need to put it in some context but in reality if we share God‘s plan and God‘s promise it will not be done in vain. I believe God’s word never returns void. Perhaps it’s an issue of faith for us to believe that God‘s truth needs us to interpret but in reality we need to get out of the way.

I’ve heard people tell me, and try to convince me that they have to spend weeks and even months getting to know someone before telling them the good news. This is a trap. This is the belief that you are more important than God‘s word. It’s a believe that you are more powerful than the Holy Spirit. It’s a false teaching that says that someone may reject you and consequently reject God. Put aside your ego!

Memorize a plan or several scriptures that have been most meaningful to you. One of the scriptures that has been my life verse is out of the book of Philippians. It tells me every day that, "He (God) who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion…" I will often use God‘s promises that have brought me hope and healing. I have often spoken of in scripture that is helped me during a difficult decision or a stressful moment. The bottom line is that I am weaving my testimony in to my remembrance of scripture and God‘s Word never fails.

With our second finger we can count. Holding up two fingers often represents peace. The Word of God is disarming and should bring peace.

C. Testimony. -- Telling my story in an elevator speech.

This brings me to the next way of evangelism. Sharing your story of what God is doing in you will make a difference. It is taking time to tell how God has helped you. It is taking time to share about a time when your needed God’s help and He was there for you. Whatever the story line, God will use it to help others see and hear the impact of God at work in you.

People need to see how God is working and your story adds to these messages that the Holy Spirit will use to change lives. People have a longing to know the work of God. They will likely make immediate application to their lives. Keeping the story of hope alive is demonstrated through your story.

Stay within a short "elevator speech" time-frame. People don’t need your political views. People don’t care how you voted in the last election. People don’t need your story to begin with, "When I was a child...." The elevator speech is a message or short testimony that is a 30-second statement about how your found peace in Christ. You may want to practice by writing it out and committing it to memory. The elevator speech is a discipline that keeps you from preaching sermons or stating only opinions.

Keep your message positive. Follow themes that everyone can relate to and want to hear. Topics like hope, peace, love, and joy to name a few.

Holding up three fingers should be your reminder that three minutes is all you need to share your testimony and ask a good question that tells someone that you are concerned about them. Any longer than that and it becomes a sermon, a lecture, and most people are too busy to hear more! Yet, if done correctly it will open up a door where you can share more later.

D. Love Appropriately. -- Agape Love is central to the heart of God.

When we say we love someone but we do not demonstrate appropriate love we make a mockery of the sacrifice that Jesus provided for us on the cross. Appropriate love are two words I used together because the definition of love is used in many hurtful ways. Some people use it to manipulate others or to cast fear upon them by making them do inappropriate acts defined as love. When we witness we must care for someone and elevate their status while presenting ourselves as a humble servant.

Nothing amazes me more than when I hear and even witness Christians who demand their rights in the public square. Nothing makes me more frustrated to hear about how our waitress was belittled or insulted because a Christian didn’t get the meal they felt they deserved and had requested. It is all too familiar on Sundays when I’ve been told by waitresses that it is the worst day of the week when "those Christians" come in after being at church. One waitress told me, "They are very demanding People and they leave little to no tip." Unfortunately this is not a rare occasion.

Demonstrating appropriate love in the day and age we live is so vital. So many of those to represent the Christian faith and even those in the profession of clergy and Pastor are making headlines today because of their inappropriate behavior. Yep beyond that we can all stand with an indictment because we haven’t done well to understand God‘s version of love called, "Agape".

Gods definition of love was demonstrated by Christ and was clearly understood by the disciples. If we stopped to really think about God’s grace toward us it would truly humble us because we all need forgiveness. Agape is unconditional and selfless love that we need to demonstrate each and every day. If we demonstrate it well it is very likely that people will remark about how different we are and therefore be a witness for Christ.

E. Be Kind in Tangible Ways. -- Being the hands & feet of Jesus make Him real.

I was standing outside a restaurant getting ready to go in one day when I saw a man standing at the door. I didn’t really think much about it as I approached him but then it came to me that he was looking for someone to give him a handout.

I was at a fast food restaurant one day in the city nearly 500 miles from home. I was a stranger. I noticed a woman who appeared homeless and hungry. I invited her to join me in the restaurant and that I would be willing to buy her anything she wanted on the menu. Humbly she stated that she would only have a small drink and a simple hamburger. I repeated to her that she could have anything on the menu and that price was not a concern for me. After ordering one or two more small items she quietly whispered, "thank you." I asked her if I could pray for her as we placed our order. I prayed out loud for her to which she responded very graciously. As I ended my prayer I looked behind me and to my surprise there was a long line of people patiently waiting yet bowing their heads in prayer.

I tell you those stories not to impress you but as examples of how this and other acts of kindness, though simple can witness for Christ. While others simply rush through their day and pass by the hurting, and at times even I am in that group, we need to be reminded that simple acts of kindness done in the name of Jesus echo for eternity.

This fifth reminder is likened unto an open hand as you count one, two, three, four, five. As the world clinches it’s fist and may even shake their hand at God our simple and selfless acts of kindness releases the power of God‘s love and causes many to relax and open their hands to receive.

We don’t have to be a rocket scientist or a clever individual, we just simply need to respond as Jesus would to those who are hurting. Each of these five can stand on their own and you may even find one more comfortable than the other. It’s important that you do not neglect the opportunity when it is in front of you or even if you must go out of the way to find that opportunity.

Recently I had the opportunity to hear Dr. Mitch Kruse, Restoration Road. His latest book tells us that we can do a better job witnessing if we simply ask questions. We are quick to give answers but what if we, as Kruse says, "put the verb at the beginning of the statement and end it with a question mark." Check out his new book, "Street Smarts from Proverbs."