Sunday, January 06, 2019

Affirmation Is Leadership: #11 Names are Everything! An 11-Part Series. 

Let me introduce you to <>. Do this and you possess leadership in it’s most authentic yet commanding way. When you introduce somebody by what they do or the position that they hold you diminish who they are. Leaders must elevate the status of people and mentioning them by name will insure this will happen. Leaders must be human and nothing says human more than someone’s name. 

What’s in a name? Names invoke the most personal and intimate of every individual. It separates people from the group and is tremendously important about who a person is. It is no longer about what they do or what they contribute to the organization but it is about who they are.

Meeting Tony Dungy personally.

Think about it for just a moment. We put numbers to things. When someone becomes incarcerated we attach their identity to a number. The UPC symbol on every package has a number. Addresses to homes  or even vehicles are identified by a number, usually a license plate or the VIN number.
Leaders use things and value people. Manager simple use people and value things.

A person’s name is who they are. Their whole history, experience, abilities, interests, hobbies, activities, likes and loves are tied to their name. If a leader calls someone by name they invoke a deep level of connection, a relationship that is beyond product and position. Their status is elevated and their importance to the cause is highlighted. I remember a time when I was honored to have the opportunity to meet former NFL Indianapolis Colts Coach, Tony Dungy. When we met I was excited to have the meaningful occasion to speak with him. What was amazing to me was when later in the day, Tony Dungy called my by my first name. It was remarkable that after meeting many that day he remembered meeting me. I am not sure what it was about my name that he was able to recall it but it will forever impact me. It told me that if leaders remember someone's name that it elevates the status of that person and causes them to stand a little taller. It will undoubtedly also raise the level of leadership in that person.

Leadership is affirmation. Bottom-line, calling someone by name is primary to affirming someone.

Read from the beginning.