Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Christmas Gift - The Joy of Giving & Making An Eternal Difference!

Christmas is that time of year when we are reminded that giving is central to the theme of this special Holiday. Sure, we all love to receive and we look forward to opening special gifts that were purchased with that perfect gift in mind. Today I want to also remind you of how wonderfully generous we can be as we meet the needs of the vulnerable, oppressed, and often forgotten.

I have seen it first hand. Whether it is ringing the Salvation Army Red Kettle Bell or helping to promote the Giving Tree programs at White's Residential and Family Services (White's RFS) or even your favorite church project or favorite charity, it is so very exciting to know that these gifts are making a difference. I like to think that this kind of giving has an eternal perspective that goes beyond just the Christmas Day.

As we give with the intent to make a difference in the life of another, I believe that we touch heaven and our gift has an eternal consequence. It is making a difference in someone else even if they don't realize it or recognize it. What we do here today echoes for eternity!

Last year in particular I purchased a gift for someone that seems to have little or no regard for God's love for her or those around her. I know that what we do for Christ in not in vain. I know that God's Word and His Love doesn't return void.  I purchased a small gift that year for someone that loved art and especially drawing. My goal was to keep this secret and simply pass it onto the parent to give.  My desire was to show God's unconditional Love for her even if I didn't get credit. Even now, I hesitate telling this story but it serves to prove my point.  Even though my gift was anonymous I saw the recipient drawing using the very art set I gave. I can't help but believe that God gave her the gift of art and is using the gift in far more intangible ways.

This year at White's RFS we promote a Giving Tree Project where churches can promote the collection of gifts and even themed baskets for Foster Children and Foster Families. It was a real joy to see how the church people responded to these efforts. Many responded. Two churches that I witnessed up-close were the New Life Church in Kokomo and the Cornerstone Wesleyan Church and their Christian School.

To see the joy on the faces of the staff and in particular the 60 children from the Cornerstone Christian School was remarkable. Their giving to help other children in need beyond themselves was incredible. On of the adult donors told me that she decided to divide her Christmas budget in half so that she could sponsor the needs of foster children. She said, "My grand-kids will understand. After all, they get too much anyways. They will understand." 

Giving when it is in the name of Jesus, no matter the amount of sacrifice or the price of the gift is everlasting. With God little is much!

This is a reminder for us today. As we give we can be assured that it is not in vain. Whether it is to our children, grand-kids, neighbors, or even strangers, God can use these tangible gifts in intangible ways.  It is such a great reminder that is is truly more blessed to give than receive.

Take time right now to think of ways you can give. It may be your time. It may be a few coins. It may even require you write a check or swipe your credit card. Whatever the amount, God can transform this into an eternal difference.