Thursday, August 16, 2018

Cold Calls - Making Them Warm Leads.

If you’ve ever been in sales or been part of a church group that has been involved in outreach, you may understand the phrase, cold calls. It refers to the initial meeting where the relationship is not previously known. In sales you may receive a list of people that you are to call and try to convince them to take a step toward your direction without the opportunity of developing a deeper relationship. 

For years I have been involved in making cold calls. When I was a paper carrier I would often stop at a home where the newspaper was not delivered to ask if they would like to subscribe to my paper route. I can recall these awkward moments at age 15. I usually brought a few extra papers with me so that I would offer them a free copy in hopes that the delivery service made it more convenient for them and the quality of news would entice them into being added to my route. When I was really young, around age 8 or so, my dad would pick children up to take to Sunday School on the church bus. Every Friday and Saturday I can recall going door-to-door to invite people, especially children and usually my friends, to go to church with me on the bus route. After adding them to the list of prospective attendees, my dad would have us call them on Saturday night to remind them to be ready for Sunday School the next day.

All throughout my childhood and even into my adult life I can recall many wonderful occasions of making cold calls. Door-to-door evangelism, or even selling a few magazine subscriptions would force me to overcome my fears. After a while you learn how to ignore your friends who would stand at a distance while you made those door-to-door calls. Or I would ignore the dog who wanted to have me for lunch. I don’t even remember how many tetanus shots I actually received after being bitten by dogs.


When I was a pastor I actually would enjoy going door-to-door to make an introduction about my ministry. There were some who simply never answered the door and they were others who curiously answered but weren’t necessarily nice about it. I met all kinds of people when I would go door-to-door and Now I have stories to tell my grandkids. Like the one time I was with my brother Jim when we went door-to-door and Lapel, Indiana. He pastored a small church but made every effort to invite the community to attend. I knocked on the door several times but Then I noticed that there was obviously an argument going on in the back room. At first it was faint but eventually I heard a few louder voices and even something that made a crash. I was standing there and didn’t know what to do next. I turned around only to notice the pick up truck that displayed a shotgun hanging from a rack. I often wondered if I did the right thing all these years later when I simply walked away and told my brother my experience. He told me that I should not worry but that he would take care of the matter later. I believe he said that to alleviate my guilt and the concern I had for that situation.

Going door-to-door making cold calls it’s something I believe everyone should try at least once in their lifetime. It causes you to think on your feet and certainly increases your faith. I have encountered people of every religion and of no religion at all. I have met very nice people and I have met people that I felt wanted to throw me off their porch, literally. I learn to roll with each and every encounter because, after all there’s a house next-door that you are needing to go to.

No matter the treatment no matter the experience you have to shake it off and move onto the next house. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose and then there are those other times that you don’t even have a category for what you’ve experienced.

In Luke 10 we find that Jesus sends out a group of his disciples by pairing them up and they literally go house to house to share about Jesus. He tells them to take nothing with them and he encourages them to be not only a blessing but to do miracles with anyone in need that they encounter. I think of all the dangers that the disciples went through, not at all unfamiliar with my experiences in my day.

I have knocked on thousands of doors and I have met many during my 31 years of ministry and my 53 years of life. I have done this in every community where I have lived. Even today, in my profession I am still knocking on doors with people I am unfamiliar with.


I have learned many lessons, in particular I have learned three main lessons on how to be successful when making cold calls. Perhaps this could be applied to nearly every profession but when it comes to evangelism, you could make the best application to these lessons learned.

1. Never give up no matter what they tell you.

I have been told many times things that would cause anyone to want to give up. I have been yelled at and I have been told to get off their porch. Don’t let someone who has given up on their dream talk you out of yours.


It’s never easy to remain positive when you are often discouraged. I have discovered in my long line of door knocking that if someone’s in a bad mood it has little to do with you so never take it personally. I don’t believe you can never lose when you talk about hopes and dreams.

People are very quick to in the conversation and they don’t always have proper etiquette in doing so. If you remain polite and considerate you will leave a lasting impression but if you’re treated poorly, just move on.

Jesus knew that they would not be excepted by everyone and so he simply used a metaphor that was common among the people that day. He said simply stomp the dust off your feet and move on to the next home. He essentially was saying that you should not carry any of the negative or hostile actions of that household with you when you go to the next home or meet the next person. Too often we are offended and we carry that feeling into the next conversation which in all honesty, it’s not fair to the next person we encounter.


2. Always ask questions.

Too often I have assumed that people wanted to hear what I had to say and that I would just simply plow ahead on my conversation. In recent years I’ve learned to ask strategic questions that would engage in conversation. I made every attempt to identify the opportunity by stating my objective clearly and then asking sincere questions.

I would often be well received when I would ask questions that started with how or why. There are many questions that start with those two words such as; How are you doing? Why do you believe that is true? When you lead the conversation, not control it you are more effective.

Most people see themselves as experts and if you remain positive and Humble you will generally learn a great deal about a stranger. Somehow your humility gains the advantage and people begin to trust you but if you think you know it all and you’re there to tell them they would generally be eager to see you leave.

I think Jesus understood that when he told his disciples to go and be a blessing into eat whatever is placed in front of them. The fact that the disciples were humble provided the advantage of building a trusting the conversation and relationship. Even without the newspaper and television the word about Jesus was spreading and many were curious and eager to learn about him.


3. Be willing to put their needs ahead of your own.

Sometimes we are one-sided about what we have to sell that we forget to listen and learn. What I’ve discovered is that people are curious and people are lonely. Usually these are the two areas that open for the dialogue. If people were curious it’s likely they would never open the door anyway. Have also noted that there are many who just love to talk to anyone. There’s a lot of loneliness behind closed doors.

One of the best lessons that I’ve ever learned is that almost everyone is polite when you invite them to pray. In most recent years I’ve discovered that when I go door-to-door and invite people to pray they are usually suspicious but polite. I often would say something like, "We are doing a prayer survey and wondered what your needs are or of your neighbor that our church could pray for." It was always amazing to me how many of them shared very personal details with me, stranger. Even doors marked "no soliciting" we’re very open to prayer.

Jesus encouraged his disciples to perform miracles and most especially to tell everyone that, "the kingdom of God has come near to you today." This phrase was a clear recognition about the power of God and his message. The work that they were doing was of the upmost importance and because the fields were white and harvest all they really had to do was be faithful to deliver His message.


Making cold calls may not be the most effective use of your time but it sure beats doing nothing. If you’ve prayed about it and you know that what you were doing is sincerely a good thing then you will succeed. You will encounter enough people to make it worth the time you spend with people. 

Someone once said that it’s more about the volume of calls than it is about the depth of the conversation. In sales, it has more to do with the amount of people you talk with or promote too, vulium matters. So it’s been said, but I don’t always agree with clichés. It may be true that the more people you talk to the more successful conversation you’ll have but what is more true is that if you are sincere and courageous, with gods help you can accomplish far more because he is with you.

We never read in Scripture about how effective it was for Jesus to send out the seventy-two disciples but I have to believe that Jesus would not have sent them out in vain. I have to think that he knew it would be effective. He indicated that the fields were ripe onto harvest which tells me that whatever seed you planted in the heart of people that God will give the increase. I believe God when He says that His word never returns void. It’s important that we water their thirst without watering down the truth of the gospel. They may not like the truth but they were respect you and your courage.

There are many forms of witnessing through acts of kindness as well as proclamation evangelism. Each form, and it’s on context is effective. I recommend both because there are a lot of nice people who do good things that do not know Jesus. Just because we are generous and we have wealth doesn’t mean that God will be glorified through our actions. It’s only what’s done for God that will truly last anyways.


We can bring cold call relationships into warm connections. If we are authentic and caring we can be a positive influence. We can turn cold calls into warm leads. Most people do respond in positive ways if we are invested in developing relationships that demonstrate kindness and friendliness.

Consider the following on how to be a positive witness. Do and Don't of Witnessing.