Saturday, August 18, 2018

Aged to Perfection - Tribute to Merle at 111 & 1/2 Years Young.

The following was written a few months back, with a few updates. This is a tribute to Merle who passed away today at 111 & 1/2 years young. 

Let me tell you a story. I first met Merle over twenty years ago when I was serving as a pastor in her church just outside of Chicago, Illinois. Merle is an unassuming, quiet, and very respectful individual. She is soft spoken and yet hard-working, who possesses a can-do attitude. Merle is not quite 4 1/2 feet tall and you hardly would notice her if she entered a room except for her loving qualities.


When you first meet her, you could not know the impact that she would have on you and other people. You are drawn to her because of her kind and approachable manner. You may not immediately know of her incredible influence on others but, as you get to know her, you discover how she makes a difference. You always feel better being with her.


One of first times I stopped at her home was in the winter, just after a fresh snowfall - and you must know that she was pushing 90 years old at that time. I discovered that she was shoveling her driveway by herself by hand. She wasn’t moving very fast but she was clearing a path. I jumped in quickly to give her a hand only to have her say, "I can do this, don’t you bother."

Stories are told that were legends in the annals of folklore, yet I assure you that she’s every bit the reality of those supposed fables.


I heard that she went to college – when few women did.

I heard that she ran her own business and even rented rooms - when few widows would dare do.

I heard that she would walk up and down the streets of her town selling books that she authored.


I once was the witness of her strength when she was confronted by a large man on her front porch. He clearly had the advantage and I even attempted to step in to rescue her but not before she threw the man off her porch; she physically, throw the man of her porch. I stepped out of her house and attempted to shield her from the man’s retaliate but to my surprise, all I could say to the man was, "It’s a good thing I’m here because SHE might’ve really hurt YOU."

Merle had seen a lot in her lifetime. She had a difficult home life growing up in Iowa; seeing two world wars, the great depression, and the invention of nearly everything. She has committed herself to influence the world through grace, charm, and a determination to serve Jesus.


I say all that because in order to understand leadership influence, you must fully understand that in her own way, she appeared defenseless and unable to make a difference yet she influenced everyone she met! 

She never really possessed a title or had the kind of promotion that would cause you to rank her a success in business or the kind of wealth that would cause people to turn their heads toward her. Yet, she carries an influence far beyond most even today.

If you think that you cannot be a leader without a title or status or certain lofty friends, you’re mistaken because Merle is that example.


Picture: Ministry from IWU visited with Merle to sing and pray with her.

Even at 111 years young, who, by the way is the oldest church member of the Wesleyan Church, in her passing she will be remembered as a gentle giant in faith and influence.

At her birthday celebrating her 110 year, (last year) there were many who gathered to give honor to her. There were Cousins. Friends. Coworkers. Also dignitaries like Mayors and other political representatives.

There were reports that were filed with news affiliates out of Chicago and newspapers who wrote articles about her. Each of them expressing a very special meaning to their interaction with Merle. See Chicago News Story.

Leadership is having influence like Merle; who doesn’t need to be loud or bossy or threatening or coercive and mean. It’s not a title or a special rank but it someone who gives what they have to help another. As I think about leadership I would encourage you to be thinking about Merle and you will likely be challenged by her can-do attitude.

As I reflect on Merle’s passing at 111 years young, I reflect on attending last year’s birthday, and when we finish singing happy birthday you could hear Merle in her soft very quiet demeanor call out to everyone, "I’ll see you next year". 

I want to wrap up our discussion and tell you something very special about Merle that I think should the challenge all of us. I mentioned that Merle has seen a lot in her 111 years of living. I told you that she is not known for her career. I told you that she is not known just for having the a boarding house in the city just outside of Chicago. She’s not known just for working almost every day into her 90s. She’s known because of the influence that she has on those that she has met. Interesting fact that she challenge all of us is that Merle is known as an author. 


She has offered articles and has written stories to her credit but what is what’s most interesting to me is that even after living a life time, well past the time that most of us will retire and would sit back to enjoy their remaining years. Not Merle. She begin to author her first book when she was in her 70’s. So, when you think you cannot accomplish something or make a difference in a persons life and be a leader with influence, I want you to think of Merle who has just finished her 12th book! 

A local television affiliate out of Chicago decided to do a news report and videotaped interview. At the end of the video the reporter asked her, "Merle, what’s the secret to long life?" after a pause Merle spoke up and said, "Keep breathing!"

See also a story about her 111th birthday: See celebration of 111th birthday.

View Celebration of Life-Funeral