Tuesday, January 02, 2024

New Year - New What?

Many will start up their new year, making commitments that they will seldom keep. They are usually superficial commitments that are related to health or weight loss or something related. It is said that many resolutions are broken within the first few days of the new year.

Richard Batts shares the following:

Researchers suggest that only 9% of Americans that make resolutions complete them. In fact, research goes on to show that 23% of people quit their resolution by the end of the first week, and 43% quit by the end of January.  

A resolution is usually a very temporary answer to a long-term problem. If you don’t fix the core of the problem, then your habits will take over. They say that it is not the decision that you make that matters but it’s the pattern that you generate that is the real issue. We lack the will-power perhaps.

For the last couple of years, I have chosen to select a guiding principle or word, and even a scripture from the Bible to guide my year. It’s a way to develop a new set of habits based on a principal rather than an impulse. Research shows that if we don’t change our belief system, we cannot expect there to be lasting change.

You, like me, often act out of an impulse to change without the necessary tools that are needed. Habits that need to be formed overtime becomes the solution that we need. Well, this article is not intended to be an answer all to the issue of resolutions. Yet, it is my attempt to document a solution that is seemingly work for me over the last couple of years.

In 2023, for example, I chose a word that guided me both emotionally and intellectually. I spent time studying the Bible on that particular word, as well as it guiding me from week to week. It became my consistent Facebook post, which often reminded me of my commitment to that idea.

Last year I chose the word, patience. It’s definition creates the context for my thinking. It means, waiting on God. Although some may view it as an inactive posture, I view it as an active pursuit of God, rather than just being active without context. 

So what did I choose for 2024?

Believe it, or not, I was surprised by this selection. After some prayer in scripture reading, I fell upon a word that feels similar. It feels like it’s an inactive word, but in fact, it is a very active posture. This year’s word is, REST. Feels odd, but it certainly means to be actively present with God. Rather than doing things in my own strength, I choose to rest in Christ rather than work for his approval.

A scripture that instantly came to mind is out of Psalm 37:7.

Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act. Don’t worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes.

See what I mean? This is a word that is reminding me that I need to be active in my faith and not in my works alone. It changes even how I do my day-to-day activities while at work. It means that I depend much more on the Lord, for what He would do in me, and through me rather than what I could do in my own strength alone.

A New Year’s resolution could flow out of this type of thinking in the context that God is leading me. Perhaps I am attempting to change the pattern of my life, not by daily choices through my strength but with Christ as my daily guide! 

Although this is a relatively new habit for me, it is proving to be beneficial. I tend to become discourage if I miss a day or fall out of habit.I might challenge you to choose a scripture or a word study that would guide you through the year to remind you of a pattern and way of thinking, rather than a superficial list that feels like a chore.


Give it a try! What word or scripture might you choose to meditate on and create a theme in your life that would transform your relationship with God, through Christ, and ultimately develop better habits for living.