Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Generosity is Contagious

It’s that time of year again! It is a most wonderful time of the year! It is for sure a favorite time for me to serve at the Red Kettle for The Salvation Army. As I begin my new series of shifts at my local Walmart, I find that people are generous. It’s fun to interact with people and to show them true joy. 


I’ve been involved in several ministries over the last few years that require me to help find support from local communities. Each time I have been able to build relationships with very generous people. My ministry has focused on low income families, or at-risk youth and children in foster care, or serving the needs of young people everywhere as is the case with Youth for Christ I currently serve. It never ceases to amaze me how generous people are.


I believe something happens within us when we are generous. You know, the old saying that it’s more blessed to give than receive may actually be true.


Studies have shown that people are actually healthier when they are generous. According to Stephen Johnson, “Giving not only helps others, but it also rewards yourself in measurable ways, so much so that it may even increase your lifespan.” 


This research also revealed that volunteering actually makes us healthier. One research showed that seniors who volunteer will live 40% longer than those that don’t.


How generosity changes your brain - Big Think


Volunteering is cool because it offers us an opportunity to promote generosity!


I remember growing up when The Salvation Army came through for my family. People would say that they had joy in helping. Though my dad worked hard, and my mother did everything she could to provide it was still a challenge to make ends-meet.  I have a vivid memory of The Salvation Army bringing a box of food to assist us in our time of need.


I have a very soft spot in my heart for this ministry that goes above, and beyond, in the most efficient of ways. They keep overhead costs and salaries efficiently to do the most good. 


For the last seven years, I had volunteered my time with The Salvation Army as a Bell Ringer. Each year I seem to find a little more joy to give and I’m grateful for the terrific opportunity to minister to people. Just a kind word seems to cheer people up during very stressful times in their lives.


I remember when a father came out with his two young daughters. He put money in the kettle, and I gave candy to his daughters, but what one of his children said was very surprising to me. She said, “My mother died last year.“ WOW! All I could say was that I was sorry to hear that and that I would be praying for them. The dad seems to be doing well, and managing the two daughters, whom he clearly loves!


I remember another occasion when a young mom came to the kettle with her daughter. Her daughter had a jar full of coins. As she was pouring the coins into the small opening of the kettle, the mother said that they save all year to give. It was a joy for me to be there at that time to see this act of generosity. The mother said, “They (Salvation Army) came through for me when I needed them and now that I have a job I’m giving back.” 


Likely people give generously because somebody showed them the way. Someone help them when they were in need and they now have the opportunity to have another. It’s not that they have enough money now to be generous because so often it’s those who seem to have little that gives the most and the red kettle.


I believe people also are generous, because it’s a reflection of their heart. I believe that most people by design are generous. I think God put something within all of us let makes us eager to help our fellow human beings.


I believe that a simple smile or positive comment can change the outcome of giving. Last year I had my grandkids with me, helping me at the red kettle. A man came out to give and chatted with my grandson. What impressed my grandson was when the man pulled out $100 bill. He stuck it in the kettle, unaware that my grandson was watching him. Immediately my grandson commented that that was a lot of money. Well he doesn’t really know the value of money but he does know that $100 bill and buy a lot of things. When we got home, he had to brag about how he was able to get people to give up a $100 bill. 


Generosity is an infectious activity. It is passed on to others like a virus, but in a good way. As one demonstrates kindness and giving it causes others to want to do the same. I believe that’s why the red kettle is such an important reminder in our culture. It is so essential to be reminded of the importance of helping others. The red kettle is a reminder that there are people in need and each of us can do something to help.