Sunday, May 15, 2022

And Then There Were Four!

I don’t know what it would be like to stand completely alone, not just isolated but on my own. There have been times when I felt alone but I was in the presence of many others. There of been times that my opinions had to stand by itself. Those were very different feelings than those who stand completely alone. 

I am perhaps like most of you. We wait for a crowd to gather before we decide to join them. There is perhaps a level of courage to be among the crowd but it’s not the same as being an individual opposite the crowd.

Perhaps, we feel like King David when he felt alone. Often we read of his complaint. The enemy was against him many occasions. His war-like rhetoric is compelling as we read through the Psalms. Many times he cried out to God feeling alone. There is a level of melancholy but David exhibited throughout his leadership. Even his own son stood in opposition to him as he stood isolated from the popularity of the crowd.

“Do not abandon me, O Lord. Do not stand at a distance, my God.” Psalms‬ ‭38:21‬ ‭NLT‬‬

I think of political leaders and heroes of the faith who stood all alone against the popularity of the crowd. Patriarchs of the church like Martin Luther or John Wesley or John Calvin, who stood alone. Individuals like Wycliffe or Tyndale whose strong belief was credited to them by historians. At that time, they were stood alone.

I can only imagine what it was like for them. I like the comforts afforded to me in this country. Many who stand in tremendous opposition to dictators are to be credited with tremendous courage! I can only imagine.

I pray that I would have the courage to stand alone if I needed to. Sure, there are strong opinions and persuasive arguments that I could make which might put me in the crosshairs of opposition. Nevertheless, those are simply “fleabites“ in comparison to the real heroes of the faith! 

We live in a time where popular thought dictates! Truth is hidden and hard to discover amidst all the noise of the media, both national and personal social media channels. 

David narrated a Psalm that perhaps speaks to this like none other. He provides truth on how to live a blessed life. While it’s not a life empty of conflict or trouble yet or it is demonstrated by the presence of God in our lives. (Psalm 1; Psalm 37)

You recall the story of the three who stood in opposition to the king? These three Hebrew men would not bow to the idol of the king. Shadrach,  Meshach, and Abednego (Daniel 3) were thrown into the fiery furnace. Their ways were to be canceled and destroyed completely. Of course we know that the story did not end there.

Even the king noticed that in the furnace we’re not just three men but a fourth was present with them. Who was it? It was the presence of God in their midst. He walked with them through the fire. Even king Nebuchadnezzar saw what appeared to be “like that of the son of God.” 

Doesn’t it sound like best of all great novels? 

Even though it wasn’t popular, it was the right thing to do. These men were filled with integrity, having aligned their faith with the living God!