Friday, July 24, 2020

God’s Love Letter

Ephesians 2:8 reads; For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God. (ESV)

I officiated a wedding one day as the pastor. The couple that I met made it very clear to me that they wanted me to share the gospel in simple and plain language during their wedding. The bride-to-be told me that many of her family members will be coming from overseas and that their religion was  not Christianity. With tears in her eyes and passionately explain to me how important it would be for the 150 guests of hers from India to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I told them that I would love to be able to do that and begin to prepare for that special day. I was more than happy to participate in such a wonderful opportunity. Instead of my preaching the normal message to the bride and groom, I prepared my thoughts for a simple love letter from God.

On the 9th hole of a very prestigious golf course we set up for the wedding. As the bride came down the aisle I could see that her smile conveyed a heart filled with love and hope for members of her family. All of the normal Christian tradition was emphasized and then I was given the opportunity to share the special love letter from God, my message to the bride’s family. I stepped aside from a couple begin to address my comments to the congregation assembled that day.

I could see that they were very receptive to the whole field message that I shared with them and I simply told them that God has written us a love letter that if red we transform their understanding of faith, hope, and love.

Following the wedding the bride’s aunt and uncle approached me asking more questions about my message. We exchanged words back-and-forth for over an hour during the reception as we compared Christianity to their Hindu religion. Ultimately I stated that bottom line, the difference between their religion and mine was that through Jesus, we are given a gift of eternal life and that through a simple prayer we can have eternal life in heaven. The brides uncle turned and said I want some of that before we bought our heads and they recited a simple prayer of confession.

As the celebration continued for the bride and her husband there was another celebration that was underway in heaven because of the several that prayed to receive Jesus that day.

Our hope is because of the wonderful love letter that God wrote to us, through his word. It is a message of sacrifice that gives us hope for eternal life. Religion it’s not just a set of beliefs but I trust that we can have With God through Jesus Christ. It is because of his shed blood on Calvary but we have received the greatest gift and that we should pass this gift on the others.

Take just a moment to reflect on the letter, God’s word that he has written to you. Celebrate his gracious gift of eternal life because you are really a recipient of eternal life through Jesus Christ.