Thursday, August 29, 2019

What Happens When You Share The Plan of Salvation?

I knew it was something that I should do but I was rather frightened by the prospect. My love for Christ compelled me to act, but I hesitated, believing that I needed to wait. After being stirred up in my spirit during breakfast with my friend, I took a big gulp, calmly took a deep breath, I  proceeded to share my faith and a biblical plan of salvation with my friend. Believe me, it was not an easy task, at first. Eventually, however, I found the conversation to be uplifting and I could see that my friend was responding well to our conversation. Norm was not easy to talk to you about spiritual matters.


Even though Norm and I worked together for weeks, making repairs at the small church I was pastoring. Norm knew how to make repairs and renovations and I supplied the labor. He simply told me what to do. He was not interested in "churchy things" as he would often say. He was a man that drove a truck for a living and never backed-down from a fight. On one of his deliveries I tagged along and during the trip he was confronted by a threat as we drove through a large city in the roughest part of the area. I remember Norm saying something about being ready for a fight as he pulled out his revolver, waiving off the potential altercation.

Remembering this incident and knowing that Norm could potential get angry as his voice got louder as we sat at the restaurant for breakfast. Knowing this, created fear in my heart as I proceeded to recite Bible verses and weave in my testimony. I carefully shared with him because I wanted him to know the good news that I had experienced in Christ. Eventually the conversation led to a time of prayer and Norm prayed aloud (in fact, loud enough that everyone could hear him). He prayed a deep, sincere prayer asking for God's forgiveness which began a new life in Christ.

Sharing the plan of salvation is often a very difficult thing for people to do. There are many concerns, including feeling inhibited and afraid that somebody will counter their proposal with a question or a position that is hard to debate. You may be like I was year earlier as I pressed in on the subject with Norm. I felt fear and increased anxiety but eventually God responded in answer to my prayers.

I believe the three things happen when we share our faith with others, especially when the recipient responds favorably and may even receive Christ as their personal savior.


1. Your Faith is Strengthened.

It’s interesting how God chooses to use us to share the message of God's good news and at the same time strengthen our faith in the process. As we encounter difficult conversations, we learn more and more of God’s grace. While others may challenge our suppositions it causes us to dig deeper to find the answers. In this process, our faith deepens.

God also gave me courage and strength to speak to Norm. In every situation I have found God developing me and deepening my own faith. As we depend on God for help, He always provides. He gives us wisdom to share the hope we have with others.

I often think about my experiences over the years as building blocks for later opportunities to share my faith. I have come to believe that as I depend on God to help me that He has always been faithful. I have been able to share my faith and a biblical plan of salvation with hundreds of people over the years. (Read more from 1 Peter 1:23-25.)


2. Hope is Released.

We know that it is the work of the Holy Spirit and not of man that people come to faith in Jesus Christ. We recognize that we are merely an instrument, a mouthpiece, and an example that God chooses to use to bring others to faith. In the moment we share our faith and testimony, I find that hope is released. I see it on the face of those I share with. I find that people are looking for answers and longing for hope, and God always delivers.

What can occur, if we share God's message, is that Hope is released. We know that the gospel message is good news and we also know that the Holy Spirit is at work. If our messages one of love, not condemnation we will discover that hope is released on others who hear this good news. There of been many times that I’ve seen it on the faces of others as this message of love and concern is shared. We find that often, the Holy Spirit is already at work in the life of another.

Our message should be shared through love and this message will produce a hope. Eventually hope will not disappoint. Hope becomes the reality of others as we share His good news.  (Read more from 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17.)


3. God Receives His Glory.

There is a third, extraordinary thing that happens as we share our faith. Not only does it strengthen our faith and it brings hope in the life of another. Yet, there is one more thing that happens. God receives glory while all of heaven rejoices!

The ironic thing is that what really matters in evangelism is that God is glorified. It matters most that what we share with others and what other experience through hope originate with God. It is His message! Sharing our faith has very little to do with us and, it doesn’t matter whether our message is received or rejected in the process. The message we carry is not our own, though the Lord does allow us to use our story as a testament of this good news.

It is likened to a musician. The violinist may be exceptional in their art. They may even offer beautiful music to those that listen. Yet, in reality is is not the art of the music or the appreciation one may have for such incredible music. It is actually in the instrument and it's creator. The careful craftsmanship of the violin and it's design point to the creator. It is to the applause of the creator that the artist and the instrument perform. It was designed to bring glory to the creator.

As we allow God to use us to share the message of God and we see the hope that is realized in others which also points to God, we find that God is glorified while all of heaven is rejoicing.  As we share this good news, we are doing what we were created to do!  We point to God, the creator and God is glorified which causes all of heaven to rejoice! Just as Jesus describes this as illustrated that the shepherd leaves the 99 to rescue the 1. (Read more in Luke 15:3-7.)

Back to the story of Norm that I shared with you earlier. I often wonder how I would’ve felt had I not shared my testimony and God's word with him. I can't imagine what regret I could have felt has I not pushed passed my fear to bring hope to Norm. I was able to say to Norm that he would see his grandson, whom he loved deeply, again in heaven on day. As Norm held a picture of his grandson he prayed a simple prayer for faith and God delivered what He promises.

Stained Glass Windows at God's House, Marion
It was to everyone's surprise that Norm made dramatic changes in his life. It was clear to everyone that he was different. He came to church that following Sunday wearing a new suit. He was different. He carried a smile and walked a little taller. He was making careful inspection of his life and began to make a difference. I recall receiving a phone call from Norm on the date of his wedding anniversary. He was never happier as he told me that he was a new man and this anniversary was going to be different.

That phone call was the last one I had with Norm. Just a few days earlier he and I found a new day in our relationship. It was a powerful experience that has forever changed how I minister today. It was a miracle both for me as well as for him. To everyone's surprise, within a few days of Norm coming to know the Lord he suffered a massive heart attack and died on his anniversary.

I often think that had I not shared my faith with him at that time he would’ve gone into eternity without a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ. That day forever changed my life and I was able to lead his funeral giving the good news of the eternal hope Norm experienced through salvation. (Read more from Philippians 2:7-11.)

I won't let a day go by without somehow planting seeds for Christ. It may be in my actions, or in my conversations, or through my faith that I plant seeds. Why?  I want to bring God glory, this is the purpose of why I was created. I want to reflect the craftsmanship of my creator. 

See more: Revive Motivates Us To Evangelism.