Sunday, March 02, 2008

A FOOTNOTE TO NIU

It occurred to me the other day that I did not clearly explain how and why I decided to volunteer as a chaplain at NIU. Several observations may help explain my motivation and opportunity.

When I got the call to volunteer with the Rapid Response Team (RRT) I couldn't help but say, "YES, I will be there!" Just days prior to NIU's tragic shooting a series of severe storms and tornadoes impacted the lived of many in the Jackson, Tennessee area (and throughout the state). Instantly the nation was told of the tragic death of over fifty people. In nearly the same heartbreaking news story came stories of incredible triumph. At Union University (UU), heavily damaged by the storm, the student body shared words of hope. The students of UU shared the message of God's Love! My heart, like yours, was instantly engaged!

The relief efforts were great. Many came together from across the Christian College network. Even Indiana Wesleyan University (IWU) responded with financial gifts and the students of IWU provided additional assistance. I felt the sudden urge to response as well by going. Well, this opportunity did not work out. But, when I heard about the opportunity at NIU, I jumped at the chance to assist.

Isn't it interesting how God directs our steps. With the permission of IWU, I spent the weekend at NIU. What a wonderful experience! Not only did God use our team but he ministered to our team as well. It was a joy to fellowship, pray with and work with the RRT.

Why did I go? Well, quite frankly I felt the Lord's prompting, He worked out the details and as evidenced by the response of NIU, we were used by the Lord to care for and pray with those impacted.

Perhaps part of my rationale also has to do with the connection I have to a University. What would IWU do if faced with similar circumstance? We can only pray that our students, administrators and faculty maintain close, personal connections with those in our programs of education. We can only hope that we too can be a witness, like UU, of God's provision and love.

Lessons learned? Just one. IWU, like other colleges and universities, must remain personal, caring and willing to take the time to listen to the needs of each other. We must be willing to provide care and prayer for anyone hurting throughout our community!