Monday, March 06, 2006

I read a great little reminder today...

“O Lord, let my words be sweet for tomorrow they may be mine to eat.” GULP!

When working with those in crisis and dealing with anxieties and fear it is common for people to say things that they really don’t mean. In the crisis of the moment the words just blurt out! I have dealt with people who have cursed me, yelled at me, said that they hated me, and even threatened me. I have had to remain calm and not become defensive. When dealing with these kinds of outburst you have to understand that these are not rational actions and certainly can not be taken seriously. My response must be calm and non-responsive. I often try to remember to keep my cool and attempt to de-escalate the situation. These words are on my board and remind me today of the importance of thinking first what to say and how my words may impact the other.

Think about it!