Wednesday, May 22, 2024

What Rock Is In My Way?

Rocks are building materials. They are used to build a solid foundation. They are good as firm footers in the building structure. They are used as the means of support. Rocks are abundant and even through ancient times have been the source of all things that stand the test of time. 

Psalms 18:2 tells us, “The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.”

They can also be in the way. The wrong use of rocks can destroy. They are useful in the right conditions favored by God. The image here shows how even the stone will cry out in praise to God! They are part of the orchestra of anthems and praise songs!  

Jesus is a firm foundation, a cornerstone that builders can use. Yet, they are stones that, if rejected, can become a stone that causes others to stumble. The foundation upon which the gospel is laid will stand the test of time. There are those that may stumble and those that will build upon its foundation. 

The rock of salvation is what the writer is referencing in his analogy. It is a fortress, proving shelter and protection. The rock is a shield and a place of safety. (For those that seek to rest with in its walls.)

This week has been our annual retreat for the Northern chapter of youth for Christ. We’ve taken time to intentionally step away from our busy agendas and activities and focus on team development the interpersonal, our team, and ourselves. It’s been an incredible time that I am even now taking note of.

In a beautiful retreat setting where we are spending time isolating from others as well as doing group games and activities. Is it time to learn how to do life and spiritually develop better with ourselves and within our team. Speakers have focused on sabbath rest as well as our mission as an organization.

We have celebrated, for God’s glory, the things that have been accomplished. We’ve been challenged on things yet to be done.

I have written down goals in my personal journal as well as takeaways from these brief moments of time. John 15 helped us to understand our interdependence and our need to be connected to the vine of our virtues Jesus Christ. We have spent time reading through the story of Moses and learning the importance of finding hope and help. I have made notes to say that God is enough and asking the question of whether I am desperate enough for God to work?

We have shared incredible times of fellowship and have grown in our knowledge and awareness of one another; in our needs and our story. I have purposefully taken time to listen and learn.

Casting a vision for any organization is never easy. Everyone that lives at the ground level, consider that through the lens of each of our busy activities and schedule. Developing an understandPurpose is important for any organization. We may ask ourselves questions related to our personal needs, but I enjoyed what our leader encouraged us to think about as he laid out three essential questions during our vision casting time together.

These three questions are:

Where have we been? 

Where are we now? 

Where are we going?

For some, it feels like we have entered into the conversation late and have missed a few things along the way. For others, they have a long history and track record that builds perspective. For me, I’m going into my third year and I believe I am still attempting to draw context for each guiding principal and action.

Recently, I heard a devotional that has helped shape my capacity for learning. The devotional centered on the importance of understanding God‘s plan and purpose. The leader of that devotional shared that God has purpose, but that I have an assignment. It may be too simple but, for me, I strive to understand my role and responsibilities within the context of our mission as an organization. 

I often pray, “Lord, show me just enough success so that I will understand your favor, but not too much that I will take away from your glory.”

God chooses to use each of us yet it is only through his power and grace that anything could be accomplished for his glory.

So my question is, what rock is in my way? Perhaps, I need to understand that the rock of our Lord Jesus Christ is not a stumbling stone, but that it is a steppingstone for which I can build upon and develop. 

As I and others got away for a personal retreat, I have to ask myself the question; am I in the way? I got away in order to get out of the way of what God is doing, and yet, join him By taking my assignment in His Kingdom work