Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Gardening Reminders!

I’m taking on a few new hobbies these last few years. One of them is gardening. I have a lot to learn, but today I wanted to give focus to some of the lessons that I have learned and some of the ways that I am improving on this hobby.

A few years prior, I have primarily tried to grow tomatoes because I love to make salsa. Last year I made over 50 jars that I stored away. In fact, I’ve been averaging around 50 jars annually. I would not necessarily call that success. Last year my tomatoes did terrible so I had to cut a deal with the local neighbor/farmer, who came through on my behalf. Roma tomatoes are the best! My particular farmer, Kirkpatrick grows fresh Red Gold brand quality. 

This year not only did I cultivate, but I added fertilizer which really helped in the process. Though I am early this season to report on my progress, I’m amazed at how quickly my garden is producing. I already have tomatoes along with other things.

Thanks to my neighbors. I am continuing to learn, but here are a few lessons that seems simple, yet, very helpful.

The Bible talks about the parable of the sower. When Jesus gave this parable, I don’t think he was necessarily talking about the seed exclusively. He wanted us to know that we should be people who “spread the gospel“ but also realize the types of soil that there are. Being faithful is one thing but the need for the right soil is quite another. See Matthew 13.

1. The soil needs cultivated and nurtured. 

The Earth needs stewarded. God has given us the responsibility to care for his creation. Part of that means stewarding.. I know that my plants appreciate it when I have provided the right kind of cultivation and nutrition.

I know it sounds common to think about, but often we don’t prepare well. Have a friend who is more of a farmer than I will ever be who has been trying to teach me how to best provide for the right kind of soil. He’s been teaching me, how I should weed and feed my plants but also my soil. 

Jesus certainly knew what he was talking about when he said that there is some seed that falls on rocky soil. He also indicated that some may fall along weeds and thorns. Caring for the soil may seem peculiar. We just assume that if we plant it, it will grow. When I plant in my raised beds, I cultivate a rich soil filled with nutrients. However, leaves much to be desired. It is filled with Clay among other things that choke out, whatever I plan. 

I have been cultivating my ground for quite a few years. I’ve had to pull out rocks and thistles. I’ve had to work hard to weed out those things that choke my plants.even when my plants begin to grow, I have to continually work to remove the weeds before they take deep route that would ultimately choke out my plants.

2. The plant’s health is paramount.

Once my plants have begun to grow, I’ve noticed that there are subtle indicators of their health. Recently, my tomato plants showed signs of stress. their leaves had curled up at the end which indicates a problem. Of course, I went to the Internet and YouTube to figure out what it could be. Some said that it was too much water while other said it was not enough water, and yet other sites said that it was too much fertilizing. Whatever the case, I had to carefully, consider what steps would improve the health of my plants. 

In the story of the sower, we find here too examples of the right type of soil that would yield an abundance of fruit. Especially those seeds that take route, but are not healthy. Some seeds that fall along the rocky soil or among thorns, present stress, and that their roots cannot go deep enough to find the nutrients needed. Read more about the meaning of the parable. 

My other neighbor, Dale grew most of my plants in his greenHe gave them a great start. They survived being transplanted into my soil, but nonetheless, they were healthy when they were given to me.

In my garden, I am discovered that I need to continually work the soil to produce the right kind of fruit for an abundant harvest. For me, just having enough tomatoes for salsa mix is important.

Every kind of seed produces a plant that may be different than another. There needs are not the same. In my herb garden, I treat the soil differently and in my larger plants. I’m more careful about how I care for them.

3. Pruning is necessary. 

The third lessons that I have learned has to do with properly cutting off a part of the plant that does not produce. In someways it’s obvious that a stem looks unhealthy. Consequently, I would want to cut that part off so that the rest of the plant can thrive. Every plant is different. 

There are times when my plants have gotten diseased, and if I’m properly caring for the plant, I will want to cut off anything that could destroy the remaining fruit. Sometimes we can ignore the problem too long, which would result in our plants suffering

In Jesus parable, we find that he encourages the Sower to care for and grow fruit. The soil that does take route needs to be properly cared for. We might call this discipleship which means mentoring others for health.

Though my lessons are both physical and spiritual, it’s important that I take heed to listen to the experts and to be diligent in my their care and welfare. I’m not only my soil, but also my plans for an abundant harvest.

There are some plants that do not like direct sunlight, and there are other plants that do not like the cold. I have to know which season I should plant and where those plants will thrive. Whether in the shade or in the sun, they are careful instructions for each type of seed. we neither want to overwater them nor ignore them because each can be a problem. 

Although I’m not an expert, I am learning bit by bit how to improve upon my results. I am learning from my past mistakes and from experts to avoid other mistakes.

Jesus is the master gardener. He understands me more than anyone else, even myself. He knows what nutrients are needed for me to produce fruit. He knows what kind of soil I have been planted in and what needs to happen in order for my seed. For his glory.